"The good news, is that quickly recognizing the signs of stroke and seeking immediate medical care from stroke specialists can minimize the effects of the disease or even save a life," says Patrick D. Lyden, MD, chair of Neurology and director of the Stroke Program at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
So what are the symptoms of stroke? If you see any one of these five sudden, severe symptoms, call for emergency help regardless of the victims's age:
Five sudden, severe symptoms of stroke
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg on one side of the body.
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding.
- Sudden trouble seeing on one side.
- Sudden, severe difficulty walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause.